[time-nuts] Olympic time standard?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Aug 15 08:39:05 UTC 2008

F Mitchell wrote:

> Is there a common time standard that all of the timed
>
> Olympic events are referenced to? I know that Omega
>
> provides the timing, their logo is on every computer
>
> that you see. If there is a common reference, how is
>
> it distributed to all of the events?

The Omega site discloses very little detail, rather statistics on how
much gear and staff there is.

I could hand them a 2.048 MHz on each venue, but I doubt that they would
need it. They could have got more timing-oriented time if they would
have asked for it, but they haven't. I rather suspect that for most
venues they have local clocks and they have TV generators so the clocks
of the screen come from there anyway. They mostly need relative timing
anyway, so I don't suspect a distribution network. The only distribution
they need is the TV pictures and it's there.

Cheers,
Magnus