[time-nuts] CE Mark

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Aug 16 11:55:26 UTC 2008

David Ackrill wrote:
> David Forbes wrote:
>
>> This is interesting. It means that I, as an American exporter selling directly
>> to end customers in the EU, do NOT need to CE mark my American made products.
>>

> I have bought several items from the US for personal use, and not for
> resale, I don't remember any of them having a CE mark and no one stopped
> me doing this.
>
> Now, this might be because the trade for persoan imports of small
> electronic items is not worth bothering about, or it could be that
> there's no legal obligation on me to ensure that what I buy has a CE mark...
>
> I also have a couple of Amateur bands handheld radios, bought second
> hand in the UK, that are from China and widely available to import
> through eBay.
>
> However, the UK Government is always keen to make sure I pay the various
> taxes levied on my purchases, so they must know that it is happening.

The thing is, when you buy a non CE-marked product and things get out of
hand. Like electrical safety or apparent violation of EMC rules or
something, you and not the manufacture takes the blame. So you are
interested in it even as a buyer.

If it is reasnoble to assume it would conform, the risc is lower.

For radio equipment, it needs to conform to the ETSI ENs as applicable,
which are part of a CE mark.

There has also surfaced a missconception about the testing aspect. For
some equpment testing is required before putting the product on the
market. For most others it is a thing which is wise to do before putting
the product on the market. You really need to check the details for each
product. For most of the equipment we discuss here, it is not required,
but if you don't have it you don't know if you comply and you can be in
big trouble, such as pulling the product of the market and stuff like that.

Cheers,
Magnus