[time-nuts] I want a good micro-controller

wje wje at quackers.net
Sat Aug 16 12:36:05 UTC 2008

As the one who made the first comment about not liking the PIC, I'll
give you my reasons. Yes, they are philosophical, even religious. I'm
also distinguishing between microprocessors (this discussion) and other
variants, such as DSPs, FPLDs, etc.

First, I've used a very large number of different micros over the years
for both 'real' work and my own purposes, starting with the Intel 8008
before it was commercially released. I've used Intel, TI, Motorola,
Zilog, MOS Tech processors of multiple families, and yes, even PICs, all
with wildly varying architectures. These days, given modern development
tools, the architecture of a general-purpose micro really isn't
particularly relevant. It's functionality and support tools that are
important.

Without a doubt, PIC made it possible for many hobbyists to put together
nice projects that they would not necessarily have been able to do
otherwise. My deep-seated revulsion comes from one source, and it's not
the architecture, the company, or the capabilities of the chips. It's
Basic, the language. Until relatively recently, PIC and Basic were
almost synonymous, at least for the masses.

I have both EE and CS degrees, and I work in both worlds. In my humble
(but completely accurate and stable) opinion, Basic is not a programming
language. It's a tool of Satan designed to convince people that they are
programmers when they really should stick to their janitorial duties.
This is a subset of the general problem that everyone thinks they are
programmers, and usually think their code is perfect. But, that's a rant
for a different audience.

So, for me, given that there are some very good C development tools for
mainstream processors, and frequently they are free, I just don't use
PICs. As I mentioned earlier, I currently like the Motorola (I mean,
Freescale; these silly name changes are yet another rant) MC68HCxx line;
there's a wide choice of features and they can be flashed easily without
a complicated programmer. The 8-pin xx908QT4 is a buck and does a fine
job for many purposes, and most importantly, you can get a nice C
development environment for the line, which was originally from
CodeWarrior, for free. It also supports the entire line, from 8-bit to
32-bit, and with builtin support for all of the various on-chip
'peripherals'.

Even now, I don't think Microchip provides a compiler that supports the
low-end chips, but I haven't checked lately.

But, when you get right down to it, you really need to pick the proper
solution for your problem. If there was something the PICs provided that
I couldn't get elsewhere, I'd use them. Religion is fine, but getting
the job done is more important.

BTW, for those that think you can't do anything with an 8-pin 8-bit
micro, I did one design that supports an LCD, a rotary encoder, a
Hall-effect sensor, and a button. At home, I use the same chip in every
light switch in my house to implement a self-tuning capacitance sense
switch. I even use a couple for a more time-nuts related tasks. One
provides loop control for my GPS/Rb/Quartz standard, and one is used as
a 555 timer replacement in my SmartClock->PC interface. (Ok, I was in a
hurry, needed a pulse stretcher, and I didn't have any 555's lying around)

Bill Ezell
They said 'Windows or better'
so I used Linux.