[time-nuts] I want a good micro-controller

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sat Aug 16 14:37:21 UTC 2008

At 07:36 AM 8/16/2008, wje wrote:

>I have both EE and CS degrees, and I work in both worlds. In my humble
>(but completely accurate and stable) opinion, Basic is not a programming
>language. It's a tool of Satan designed to convince people that they are
>programmers when they really should stick to their janitorial duties.
>This is a subset of the general problem that everyone thinks they are
>programmers, and usually think their code is perfect. But, that's a rant
>for a different audience.

So, how do you tell if you're not a programmer, but pretending to be
one?  My code is far from perfect, but it can usually be made to get
the job done.  I try not to cut too many corners, and the ones that I
do cut bother me.  But when you're the lone programmer on projects,
it's hard to know if you're crummy or decent, since there's no one to
measure against.  (Of course, there's the metric of 'product shipped,
product works, bossman happy, paycheck cashed', but that doesn't
distinguish between good and bad programmers, just programmers that
can fool others along with themselves.)

--
newell  N5TNL