[time-nuts] Nixie - tube clock - 16 Digit Readout !

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Mon Aug 18 08:46:15 UTC 2008

Hi,

Morris Odell escribió:
> A great clock and appropriately flanked by Jim Willams' classic book and an
> 829B power tube!
And also some Tektronix Circuit Concepts books ;)

> Have you taken any precautions against cathode poisoning in the nixes that
> don't see a lot of change?

The nixies are ZM1210, multiplexed in a 4 x 3 configuration (anodes of
three tubes connected together, cathodes of 4 tubes connected together,
cathodes are driven by 30 outputs of a Supertex HV5530 driver). The
picture was taken in the date and time shown (CET), and of the five
units I've built, I've had to replace two years ago one of the nixies
due to sputtering. The clock has a routine on startup (rarely, when
mains fails) that drives all digits in sequence (showing 11 11 11 11 11
11, 22 22 22 22 22 22, etc...) and when I've seen it, I see no
difference in luminosity in the first two digits (the ones that rarely
changes), nor in the 10-sec, 10-min (the ones that never shows digits
over 5... well... supposedly 10-sec shows a 6 when a leap second
occurs... but I've never been there to see it ;) ) nor in the 10-hour,
10-days and 10-month digits. All numbers seems to lit with same intensity.
> I have never had a problem in any of the clocks I've built but over at the
> Neonixie group they get quite excited about it.
>
> Obligatory time nuts content: my latest clock is GPS controlled, and with an
> Oncore VP timing receiver too :-)
This one uses M12T receivers :) The software includes day time savings
and configurable time zones (not position-based... seemed way too much
complicated ;) ).

Regards,

Javier

Javier Herrero                            EMAIL: jherrero at hvsistemas.com
HV Sistemas S.L.                          PHONE:         +34 949 336 806
Los Charcones, 17A                        FAX:           +34 949 336 792
19170 El Casar - Guadalajara - Spain      WEB: http://www.hvsistemas.com