[time-nuts] LPRO-101 internals

iovane at inwind.it iovane at inwind.it
Mon Aug 18 09:56:33 UTC 2008

Sometimes trying to fix a faulty unit is simply a challenge.

Some more tips.

The LPRO with cover removed cannot work in the presence of artificial light coming from AC powered sources!! It locks randomly to the light ripples.

My definition of the normal color of the rubidium light would be pink-violet, and the abnormal would be red-violet. The definition of colors may be subjective, but the color should not vary so much after power up.

The crystal looks like a transistor (TO5) and has a heatsink. It is located in the corner opposite to the lamp. The other similar component on the board is actually a transistor.

Your OCXO Volt is good.

I think you have a faulty resistor.

Without disassembling the unit, try measuring the voltage at the base of Q703 (1P SMD) located near the lamp assy. At power up it should read some 11 V, and after warm-up it should read some 5 V. If the voltage doesn't drop down, then R721 (61.9K smd, bottom of pcb) might be interrupted: measured onboard it should read some 14K if good, 18K if interrupted. For replacement you could use a 56K and a 5.6K in series.