[time-nuts] CE Mark

David Ackrill dave.g0dja at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 06:53:34 UTC 2008

Didier Juges wrote:

> If you add the proper disclaimers regarding the fact that your product is
> not CE compliant and the buyer accepts all liability as a result, I don't
> see how you could be in trouble.

I've asked about US made equipment sold through UK Amateur Radio
suppliers, equipment made by companies like Tigertronics and RigBlaster
for example, and I'm told that they don't have CE marks.  I'm also told
that there is at least one UK manufacturer selling add on equipment
(mainly audio interfaces) that doesn't put a CE mark on their equipment
which they advertise and sell in the UK to European buyers.

I wonder how the UK shops/dealers and this, admittedly small,
manufacturer, get round the CE mark regulations?  I wonder if they are
just taking the chance that nothing will go wrong and no one will have
the evidence to take them to court or have the resources to prove their
gear is non-compliant?  If so, and presumably this is a concious
decision by the dealers/small manufacturers, why don't many other non-EU
and small scale manufacturers and sellers just do the same thing I wonder?

Dave