[time-nuts] CE Mark

Jim Lux james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 19 13:53:24 UTC 2008

Quoting Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>, on Tue 19 Aug 2008
12:02:54 AM PDT:

> In message <48AA6DEE.10908 at tiscali.co.uk>, David Ackrill writes:
>
>> I wonder how the UK shops/dealers and this, admittedly small,
>> manufacturer, get round the CE mark regulations?  I wonder if they are
>> just taking the chance [...]
>
> They are.
>
> As long as nothing goes wrong, they fine, if something goes wrong,
> they're royally screwed.

This is not necessarily a bad strategy.  You'll note that things like
defibrillators are not made by big companies with lots of assets
(since a defib is one of those things being used on a dying person,
and success is not guaranteed, and the family members of one of those
non-successes sometimes want someone to sue)

You could have a mfr company with small assets that's willing to take
the hit and go out of business.

The principals could then reform the company under a different name, etc.

"piercing the corporate veil" only goes so far.

Jim