[time-nuts] 5061A ion pump P/S problem

Morris Odell vilgotch at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 20 11:00:52 UTC 2008

Corby,

Thanks very much for this advice. It turned out the spare unit was quite OK
after all. It's installed as I type, and the 5061A is locked beautifully and
showing the same freq as the Z3815A GPSDO on a HP 5345 counter. A check of
the "flop" parameters shows the Cs tube is nice & healthy and all's right
with the world!!!

The unit had been running with the mode switch in the "Cs off" position for
a couple of years so the tube was well and truly pumped down. The ion
current was very close to zero. I have a Shera controller circuit built into
the unused battery compartment so most of the time it runs as a GPSDO but I
like to exercise the Cesium from time to time too.

Thanks again Corby and everyone else who suggested ways to get it going
again.

Morris

PS: my 5345 counter does not have the GPIB option so I can't do things like
Allen plots. If anyone happens to have a junker with a GPIB card available
I'd love to hear about it.