[time-nuts] FW: IIMorrow GPS units non-functional since Sunday

Thomas A. Frank ka2cdk at cox.net
Wed Aug 20 12:36:38 UTC 2008

>>> It turns out every one of these units stopped working sometime
>>> Sunday and
>>> they don't fully understand the cause or the fix as of yet.  Good
>>> news, I
>>> don't have a malfunctioning unit.
>>
>> Funny, but to me, having the thing stop working qualifies as
>> "malfunctioning".
>>
>> Just a thought.
>>
>> Tom Frank, KA2CDK
>>

> "malfunctioning"?
> Can it be said, if you have a task that you are being paid big
> bucks an hour
> to perform, and have to stop in the middle to go the little boys
> room that
> you are "malfunctioning"?

Nah, that would be more like recharging the batteries.  A known and
*expected* maintenance function.  That can (sometimes :-)) be
postponed until after important things are complete.

Now if I went home and crawled into bed and stayed there
indefinitely, that would be malfunctioning.

There have been weeks where that might have been a better solution in
all regards than working!  But I digress.

> A firmware update is a heck of a lot better than a "blown up" unit.

True, but it's still a brick until that happens.

Expected vs. unexpected.

The scary thing is, the vendor could eventually say "sorry, we can't
fix it, buy a new one".  The ultimate malfunction, and you don't get
two weeks notice...

Tom Frank

P.S. - no offense taken.