[time-nuts] Odetics 325 & 425: File recovery

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Aug 22 05:45:55 UTC 2008

> 	I'm still picking up the pieces from a major FTP archive crash that
> lost me a considerable amount of data.

Disks are cheap.

Many years ago, one of the guys I worked with pointed out to me/us that it
was cheaper to buy more disks than it was to pay us at our normal sallary to
figure out which bits should be saved.  You can do a lot of handwaving in
that area, but that's the general idea.

My straw man for low cost backup is a USB disk.  I'm thinking of a real
rotating disk rather than the typical flash "disk".  The key idea is that
after you pull the cable, your system can't trash the bits.  That is neither
software nor fat fingers will delete anything.  It isn't perfect, but it's
close and simple.

Any interesting bits should be backed up multiple ways.   If any time-nuts
have bits that aren't (well) backed up, please contact me off line so we can
work out some way to add another backup copy to the system.