[time-nuts] rsync (was Odetics 325 & 425: File recovery)

christopher hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Fri Aug 22 18:27:29 UTC 2008

John Ackermann N8UR <jra at febo.com> wrote:
> You can pipe rsync over SSH;
> I don't recall the exact magic to make rsync plus
> SSH work under Windows, but I think you could use PuTTY or Teraterm to
> provide the port forwarding.

No port forwading is necessary nor recommended.

rsync does ssh natively when you specify user at host:  I.e.:

  rsync dir1 user at host:/dir2

This how rsync is used 98% of the time.

(If you actually want to speak to an honest-to-goodness rsync server that's
already running, you have to use the rsync:// url syntax.)

-ch