[time-nuts] Description - GR 1120-AB Frequency Standard

wa3frp at aol.com wa3frp at aol.com
Sun Aug 24 03:21:58 UTC 2008

Max is correct.

The GR 1120-AB contains the following units in a standard relay rack:

The GR Standard Frequency Oscillator 1113-A with an output frequency of
5 MHz. This unit is settable to 1 x10 -10 with an output of 1 V RMS.

Located in the relay rack above the Standard Frequency Oscillator is
the GR Frequency Divider 1114-A (all discrete transistor) with inputs
of 5 MHz, 1 MHz and 100 MHz and outputs of 1 MHz (Sine), 100 kHz (Sine
+ Square), 10kHz (Sine + Square), 1 kHz (Sine) with two output jacks
and 100 Hz (Sine) with two output jacks. There were plug-in options
that provided additional outputs of 400 Hz and 60 Hz output but
unfortunately I don't have either option installed.

Installed in the relay rack above the Frequency Divider is the GR
Syncronometer Time Comparitor 1103-B. The GR 1103-B uses a 1 kHz motor
and 24 hour clock to display the integral of the number of cycles
executed by the standard frequency oscillator as a standard time
interval. The GR 1103-B contains a set of dry contacts that open one
each second for 0.05 seconds. In the mid-1960s, this time standard was
compared to a standard time radio station, such as WWV, using the GR
1103-B. While this a beautiful piece of mechanical gear, a HP 117A is
much easier to use.

The bottom of the relay rack includes the Battery Storage drawer, the
GR 1268-A Automatic Battery Charging Unit and the GR 1116-B Emergency
Power Supply. These three pieces of equipment are capable of
maintaining power to the rack for four hours in the case of commercial
power failure.

This particular GR 1120-AB, rack number 195, was donated by General
Radio to the Moore School of Electrical Engineering - University of
Pennsylvania in 1965. The equipment was assigned to the School's Valley
Forge Research Center in the late 1960s and remained there serving as
the time standard for a number of research projects. By the late 1970s,
the GR 1120-AB was stored in an unheated area at Valley Forge and was
unused. I was granted approval to remove the Standard after approaching
the administration at Penn. Otherwise, it would probably be in a
landfill today.

My work to completely electrically and mechanically restore this
Standard started in May 2004. Once the inner oven thermoswitch is
replaced and tested, the Standard will be completely operational.
Probably one of the few remaining GR 1120-AB racks in the world.