[time-nuts] I now have a clock accurate to 10E-6!!!

paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 09:33:11 UTC 2008

Jim Palfreyman wrote:
> Here's an an extra photo showing the clock mechanism after the face and
> hands have been removed.
>
> Jim

Almost identical to the master clock(s) that were used to synchronise
the British Railways station clocks in about 1980. A 48v 1pps was
distributed by private wire to many stations and platforms. Keeping all
of the clocks in synch was a full time job.

As a young hard up engineer I recall being quite jealous of the engineer
who got paid overtime twice a year to manually do the daylight saving
correction :-)

It was replaced by a new system with digital displays on the platforms
and I kicked myself years later for not keeping one of the old pulse
clocks for posterity.

Regards Paul

--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI