[time-nuts] While we're discussing backups...

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Tue Aug 26 00:32:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:51:35 -0400, "Bruce Lanning" <belanning at verizon.net>
wrote:

>In regard to the below info, I downloaded xxclone and it does appear to be
>the type of backup program that I have been looking for, BUT I can not get
>my C: drive to come up in the source or the target window. I am running XP
>on a COMPAQ Presario if that helps. Could anyone  tell me why I can not see
>my C: drive. It has my start up info and WINDOWS on it.

No idea other than the brand name.  Compaqs have a rep for stuff like that.
Are you running XP?  All bets are off if Vista is involved.

 I've installed xxclone on a number of client and friends' computers and never
had a problem.  It just came up and ran.

Did you try pressing the disk management button to the right of the source and
target slots?  That brings up windows disk drive management package.  What
does it show?  Is your C drive an NTFS volume that is showing healthy?

Have you turned off any services, particularly windows shadow volume copy
service?  Some "optimization" websites recommend turning that service off but
doing so disables just about every backup or clone package that runs in
multi-user mode.

Do you have any virus bloat-ware like Norton running?  If so, it might be
interfering with disk detection.  I have the freebie Avast package on my
machine and before that AVG (release 8 turned into bloatware so I had to
change) running with no problems but given the amount of problems I've had in
the past with Norton and MaCaffee, I'd be looking there.

Have you tried since rebooting the machine?  Kind of an obvious question but I
had to ask.

As a last resort, you might drop them a support note and ask if they've had
any reported problems with your model computer.  Maybe they'll have a patch or
a work-around.

John
--
John De Armond