[time-nuts] Prologix GPIB-NET, HP 5370A, HP5334A problem?

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Aug 29 18:41:06 UTC 2008

I'm not familiar with any GPIB bugs on the 5370A, but I moved your code over
to C and ran it on my 5370B via a GPIB-LAN adapter.  The test app failed
after ~6 hours with a Winsock timeout error.  I'm thinking that was caused
by a power glitch, though, because I actually had to power-cycle the counter
(rather than the Prologix dongle) to get the program running again.  Was
that your experience?

Since then it's finished a 24-hour run without any sign of trouble.

-- john, KE5FX

>    If the 5370A problem is actually the 5370A gpib controller bug, then I
>    don't think it can be reproduced with the 5370B; I'm pretty sure that
>    was fixed in the B model.
>    However, if you want to give it a try, here's what I do (you'll have to
>    interpret, but it should be pretty clear)...

C version:

   GPIB_connect(atoi(argv[1]),
                GPIB_error,
                0,
                20000); // Set 20-second timeout

   GPIB_set_EOS_mode(10);
   GPIB_set_serial_read_dropout(20000);	// 20-second dropout

   GPIB_write("SS2");   // Sample size = 100
   GPIB_write("MD2");   // Lock out rate control, hold until MR
   GPIB_write("AR1");   // +T.I. arming only
   Sleep(2000);

   GPIB_write("MR");    // Manual read (discard first reading)
   Sleep(1000);

   for (S32 h=0; h < 24; h++)
      {
      for (S32 m=0; m < 60; m++)