[time-nuts] TBOLT communications

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 22:43:45 UTC 2008

Hello all,
I received my TBOLT from TAPR and proceeded to stoke it up.
However I have not been able to get response from TBOLTMON.
I use a laptop with a USB port driving a USB-serial converter marked
N287.
The laptop, unfortunately, runs VISTA. However I can drive an HP Z3815A
with a null modem cable and a GCRU/D with a straight cable, and I can
also drive
HOBO data loggers with these USB-serial converters. With VISTA there
is always a
lot of experimenting to find the allocated COM port number and right
baud rate etc.
Whatever I do I cannot get a response from the TBOLT.
Preliminary poking with a CRO probe shows some signals on both pin 3
and pin 2
of the RS232 lead.
Is it possible to accidentally put the TBOLT in a state where it does
not listen?
Does it have RS232 requirements that the serial converted does not fit?
I would be thankful of any good suggestions,
cheers, Neville Michie