[time-nuts] 10 MHz over optical fiber?

wje wje at quackers.net
Fri Dec 5 09:35:57 UTC 2008

   It's regular Heliax that's been temperature-conditioned by repeated
   temp cycling to minimize dielectric size change vs temperature. This
   minimizes phase shift over length. The cycling affects the foam used
   as the dielectric, which apparently eventually stops expanding and
   contracting as much as non-conditioned cables.
Bill Ezell
----------
They said 'Windows or better'
so I used Linux.

   Neon John wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 17:33:25 -0800, "Tom Van Baak" [1]<tvb at LeapSecond.com> wrot
e:

Yes. I know of several commecial systems. If you only need to do a short
jump, then using fairly basic E/O-O/E equipment should work well
enought. It all depends if you want/can to roll your own or need to buy
a finished product (aka "buy this, and you will be fine!").

Magnus, what's the typical noise floor, tempco or drift of cheap
(i.e., non JPL-level) fiber distribution systems like this? Is it less
than regular coax, or phase stabilized heliax? At 100 m lengths?

OK, tom, you got me with another one.  WTF is phase stabilized heliax?  Is
that a hunk of ordinary heliax that has been characterized or is it made
special in some way?

re: original problem

check out B&B Electronics

[2]http://www.bandbelectronics.com/

sorry, I'm off-line right now and can't browse but they specialize in really
inexpensive implementations of stuff like this.

John
--
John De Armond
[3]http://www.neon-john.com