[time-nuts] Sub Pico Second Phase logger

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Dec 5 21:07:07 UTC 2008

WarrenS wrote:
> Bruce
>
> asked)
> Doesn't this phase detector, like all digital phase detectors, have
> significant non linearity at the ends of its range?
> In the case of an XOR gate phase detector this is caused by the finite
> slew rate of the gate output.
>
> Thanks for all the ideas and Information.
> True, XORs don't work good at the end of their range for several reasions.
> This is why I had to put in the second pair of detectors.
> K1 and K2 are used in the example as a sort of "smooth linear demulplexer"
> to switch between the phase detectors.  As one set of differential
> phase detectors gets near its nonlinear and troublesome range at their zero
> and 180 phase point their output change contribution is COMPLETELY shut down
> by the a "sin" like function product of K and Phase#. Not really a sin
> function and not really done as K's. The function of the sum of the two
> phase detectors will be dependent on the voltages themself.
> That is their modified voltage out will have less effect the farther away
> from zero their phase voltage is.  A  smooth clipper function.
> For a given detector pair the farther from zero it is the less its change
> will contrubute. When both the zero and 90 degree phase detectors
> are half way between zero and rail, their outputs gets summed together
> with a weighing factor of 1/2 each.
> One disadvantage of  the quad phase detectors,  is to work good and
> allow the digital processing functions I want to have, there has to be two
> seperate data paths, one from each Pair of phase detectors.
> The data rate is slow enough even with the desired oversampling
> that a multiplexed ADC my be OK.
> Is there anything that cares about faster than about 10Hz high resolution
> phase update times, that a simple analog XOR phase detector could handle?
>
> Also I do not think that the linearity has to be very good. I was thinking if
> it stays within say 90% it would be good enough for what I know of. The important
> thing is Just so it stays monotonic and glitch free with no hysteresis etc which
> it seems to do. It is not 1 million to one accurate as you know, maybe more like
> within 1% or 0.1%. The one I build only has a  million to one resolution
> around 90, 270 degs, zero and 180 deg. which is the only place I generally using it.
> At the moment the accuracy and noise performance with the detector away
> from its zero output value is limited by the accuracy of the reference along
> with a lot of other gain error things.
> Is there any use for a truly linear and accurate simple phase detector?
> I supose it could be done, in a similar mater, but may have to add a couple parts.
>
> You also said HCMOS buffers have 4ps or so of jitter. Is this the kind of jitter noise
> that can be filtered down into the mud with the present 100ms analog Bandwidth
> and the 250K samples that are effectively being averaging?
> [...]
Warren

Another potential issue is crosstalk between flipflops in the same
package, in particular between the 2 clock signals.
Such effects will not be evident when using a single clock source to
evaluate the system noise.
Using fully differential logic such as ECL will reduce such coupling at
the expense on increased power dissipation and relatively high logic
level tempcos.
Dithering one or both of the clocks may help.

Bruce

Bruce