[time-nuts] position determination over short distance

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 04:55:38 UTC 2008

To  Björn
wow,  neat, mm accurate antennas,
That means the RF way still has some hope.
How does it get the information down the cable without unacceptable loss of accuracy?
Anyone know how they make these antennas, and can it be done with small cheapy ones?

To Rick:
I guess Rick,  you now know the RF frequency to use, Just watch out for the GPS police.

I think if Rick Harold would of wanted to use optics, then he would of asked the light-nuts instead of the freq-nuts.

One thing I don't think I have ever seen from Rick is anything about the time frame and the budget?
These are probable the two most important relevant requirements, funny they are unknown.
The $10 dollars options are probable different than the $100,000 ones.

I don't remember if you where going 2 or 3 or 4 D.

Here are some ways to do it 2D on the cheap.
Are you old enough to remember TV computers? most came with light pin options.
So all you need do is place your object on the  CRT type TV screen that is turned to face up, put the light pin in the center of the object pointing down at the TV and the basic program will tell you the location to about the accuracy you need if using the better game consoles.

You can also use an modern absolute position drawing pad for getting two D.

Or how about, they use to have a pen set that read the position of the pins tip when placed on the special pad, That was cheap.

Can you place you object on a touch screen panel?

Put a LED little red laser pointer down from above it on the ceiling and with a couple of motors "paint" the object with a TV type scan. Then provide some sort of sync so it is known where the pin is pointing at any time. A single photocell on the receiver could then determine its 2 D position. For 3 D use a second green led pointer painting from the side.

You know it sounds like you should look up the optic-nuts.
Or to get more relevant and serious answers you probable need to supply more information about the requirements.

Having too much Fun
WarrenS