[time-nuts] position determination over short distance

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 00:54:35 UTC 2008

Hi Rick,

Sorry for the late reply but I accidentally stumbled upon this device
and thought about your application. I'm not sure it will be accurate
enough to meet your requirements but if you choose the part of the
curve with the steepest slope you might just achieve the 1mm you need
and at a very inexpensive price.

Sharp GP2Y0A21YK0F Distance Sensor

73,
Steve

2008/11/24 Rick Harold <rickharold at gmail.com>:
> All,
>
> I'm planning doing some experiments in distance measurement.  They don't
> deal with atomic time directly but with extreme short periods of time.
>
> I need to determine the position of a instrument with a 1mm accuracy or
> less.
> The instrument is not connected to a mechanical device but is separate &
> independent.
> The surface which the instrument is positioned on is close to the size of a
> 11"x11" square.
>
> I thought of using 1 RF transmitters (not sure of freq) on bottom of the
> device near the surface.
> The surface would have RF receivers on 3 or 4 edges/corners to receive the
> signal.
>
> If each of the receivers positions are known and they then send a signal to
> a central circuit (again known positions) how can I differentiate the time
> of arrival
> at the central location?  Does anybody know of a circuit/chip or system
> which would determine the time 'difference'.
> Obviously this is used to triangulate the position of the instrument.
> Light travels 1 mm in ~3.3 picoseconds so I would suspect the differentiator
> would have to have that or better resolution.
> It could also use some proportional method to extrapolate the position since
> the surface has a fixed size.
>
> Any ideas/thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Rick Harold