[time-nuts] Voltage standards

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Thu Dec 11 13:19:30 UTC 2008

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 17:27:54 -0700 (MST), "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com>
wrote:

>The thing that got me was the word 'really' in Bruce's statement.  It
>read like someone who had tried it, had limited success, but in the
>end wound up believing that while possible, it wasn't really
>practical.  After thinking that, I couldn't imagine that somebody on
>the list hadn't tried it for some reason or another over the years.

Well, before my fire I had a gamma spectrometer based on an LN2 cooled HpGe
crystal in my basement lab.  Right beside it was a similarly cooled SiLi
detector for alpha and X-ray spectroscopy.  What can I say?  I'm a nuke.
that's what we do.  I managed to save the Canberra MCA, though it's grossly
obsolete now, there being little USB dongles that do the job these days.

I have been coveting one of the later model HpGe detectors with the Sterling
refrigeration pump.  No more LN2 deliveries.  Kinda pricey on a retiree's
budget.

One of those things that I've always wanted to do was to lash together a
liquid air plant from, say, refrigeration parts.  Never had the time and the
funds at the same time.

John
--
John De Armond