[time-nuts] GPS signal simulator

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Dec 11 20:33:26 UTC 2008

> One of the questions I've needed to answers is just how good is good enough
> when it comes to making a high performance GPSDO.

There is no single answer to this. One man's high-performance
is another man's low-performance. It all depends on where you
are in your quest.

> Some of the self build units I've heard being used can be 100 to 1000 or more
> times worse than desired for best performance.
>
> WarrenS

That is correct. Because time can be measured more precisely
than any other physical quantities it is quite normal for amateur
projects or even professional products to span many orders of
magnitude in performance. It is also true that the requirements
have as great a span. Someone needing a time source simply
for NTP (milliseconds) can get by with a solution a million times
less precise than someone trying to tune the C-field of their own
cesium standard (nanoseconds).

/tvb