Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 11 21:23:45 UTC 2008

The quintessential gravity meter (Worden Gravity Meter by Texas Instruments)...  still being made after 60 years or so:
http://www.mssu.edu/seg-vm/pict0246.html

Geologists measure gravity to get the density of of the underlying rocks.  I
saw a neat topo map of the San Francisco peninsula at one of the USGS open
houses.  The contours were rock density rather than elevation.

Of course, they had to correct for elevation.  When I asked how they got the
elevation, the guy smiled: "From the sewer people".

They had the instrument on display.  It wasn't very big, say a cubic foot.
Maybe they will have it out at the next open house so I can look closer.