[time-nuts] Close-in phase noise question...

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Mon Dec 15 19:14:53 UTC 2008

The painful part is probably the first few stages, if you are starting at 5
MHz.  You probably want to do some HP 8662A-like tricks using crystal
filters to shave off the broadband noise below 1 GHz, and maybe SAW filters
above that.  This will do nothing for noise within 1 kHz, though... do you
really need a clean signal that close to the carrier all the way up to 630
GHz?

The noise characteristics of the MMICs seems to depend a lot on the fab
technology.  I can't seem to find my .PDF copy of it right now, but I have
one paper on microwave regenerative dividers where the authors measured the
residual PN of several contemporary parts driven to saturation.  At 4.5 GHz,
the 10 dB/decade corner frequency wasn't reached until past 100 kHz for the
Stanford Microdevices SGA-4186, which didn't speak well for the PN
performance of SiGe HBT parts.  They showed -143 dBc/Hz at 1 kHz for that
one.

The GaAs HBT part (Mini-Circuits ERA-5SM) they tested was among the best
(-156 dBc/Hz at 1 kHz).  Second-worst was an InGaP/GaAs HBT part (Stanford
NGA-489) at about -153 dBc/Hz at 1 kHz.  Still much better than the SiGe
part.

My understanding is that the newer GALI-series parts from Mini-Circuits are
InGaP HBT devices so they'd presumably perform about like the NGA-489.
You'd want to measure them to make sure, though, if your app is that
critical.

Take a look at NRAO's recent publications, especially those associated with
the ALMA array (many of which are on their site).  They're doing the real
bleeding-edge work at sub-mm these days.

-- john, KE5FX