[time-nuts] Close-in phase noise question...

wa1zms at att.net wa1zms at att.net
Tue Dec 16 02:07:55 UTC 2008

Bruce-

OK... So, linear operation does therefore seem to be the preferred
way to operate these MMICs rather than operation into compression.
That's what I seem to be observing if only because my final RF
frequency is so high and RX bandwidth so low.

Having said that, if my frequency synthesis scheme involves a mixer
does the same effect of low frequency noise to phase noise conversion still
take place? After all, the mixer element is typically into compression
if it's a FET based mixer. I assume a diode mixer is more immune to
similar effects?

I'm trying to grow my intuitive understanding of the subtle sources of
noise. But I don't recall Maas giving much info on this topic in
his otherwise excellent text.

As always, thanks for your sagely advice.

-Brian