[time-nuts] Close-in phase noise question...

Luis Cupido cupido at mail.ua.pt
Tue Dec 16 02:44:46 UTC 2008

Brian,

I also think the linear operation would be better, but not
so sure if bipolar transistors wouldn't be preferred
over MMIC's for this (on bottom part of the spectrum)
(ok... is not so handy).

What I can certainly add to the discussion is that
power amplification followed by higher rate varactor
multiplication is considerably better than a multiple
lower multiplication ratios chain.
I had that experience on the 411GHz where from a 70MHz(*)
xtal osc amplified to several Watt driving varactors and
cavities. I jump with few steps to about 45GHz as opposed
to a DB6NT like LO chain which was noticeably worst in
the close in noise.

Using mixers without driving hard the LO or the RF with
same marginal level on both ports is possible but you will
be in trouble with level settings :-(
Not sure how much you would gain there... theoretically
something... but then AM to PM conversion is against you so
not sure if better or worst.

Luis Cupido
ct1dmk.

(*) x12 x9 x3 x2