[time-nuts] Close-in phase noise question...more info...

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Dec 17 01:19:41 UTC 2008

>> 1) 5MHz Wenzel OCXO <--Custom Osc for me.
[snip multiplier chain]

> What kind of BPF?  A really narrow crystal filter would be nice here.
> (You have basically reproduced the 8568A/B's 20 MHz reference
> section.)

What happens when I put a crystal in series with a crystal filter?

I'd expect it would be hard to tune them accurately enough so things would
end up working on the slope of the filter.

Maybe I'm missing the decimal point.  What's the bandwidth of a crystal
filter relative to the spectrum out of the same crystal used as an osc?