[time-nuts] prototyping (was Sub Pico Second Phase logger)

christopher hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Thu Dec 18 01:26:22 UTC 2008

Joseph M Gwinn <gwinn at raytheon.com> wrote:

> Actually, for quantity one, I don't bother with PCBs.  I use 1/16 inch
> thick glass-epoxy Vectorboard with a 0.1" hole pitch, and thread bare
> wire through the holes.

> If I were building receivers, I suppose I would be forced to use
> surface-mount comoponents and PCBs.

For one off and experimentation, ugly style on a solid ground plane works
quite well.   I have built a number of receivers in this style.

There are kits available of self-adhesive bits of PCB that you can stick
onto the ground plane to create islands or to mount delicate parts.  You can
get away without these -- e.g. by the judicious use of an xacto knife --
but they certainly are handy.

Of particular relevance to the quoted text, you can get strips of PCB for
50Z, 75Z, etc transmission lines -- we have these in our labstock.  (Sorry,
I forget the brand name.)

-ch