[time-nuts] Is oscillator sync always bad?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Dec 18 20:31:36 UTC 2008

Predrag Dukic wrote:
> Hi, Time -Nuts,
>
> Did anyone try to deliberately allow  syncronisation  of two
> oscillators, by , for example paralleling  outputs of two 10811.
>
> I expect to see some benefits from the usual statistics:   Phase
> noise divided by sqrt of 2    and also decreased  amplitude   random
> frequency jumps.
>
> Aging could also be average of the two.....
>
> Predrag Dukic

Pedrag

First ensure that doing this doesnt overstress the output amplifier cascade.
Then the two oscillators will need to be tuned so that they are very
close in frequency before injection locking can occur.
The higher the reverse isolation of the output amplifier and the higher
the crystal Q the closer the 2 oscillator frequencies will have to be.
The maximum frequency difference tolerable for injection locking to
occur can be estimated from Adlers equation.

Bruce