[time-nuts] Build my own dist. amp ??

BriMDavis at aol.com BriMDavis at aol.com
Fri Dec 19 03:40:41 UTC 2008

Bruce Griffiths wrote:

>That is a very effective way of elevating the phase noise floor.
>Its usually far better to amplify the input and then split the output
>maintaining a gain to the splitter outputs of at least 0dB.

As I already explained the last time you mentioned this,
I am well aware of noise floor limitations when operating
an LO or clock at reduced signal levels.

 It is nice to keep the drive levels as high as possible;
however, as long as the overall system noise floor is not
impacted, it really doesn't matter if the reference level
drops somewhere along the way.

>> Some data sheets contain this information at spot frequencies;
>> this one does not.
>>
> Very few datasheets from Maxim specify much about the noise
> characteristics of such devices.

Perhaps we are suffering from a language barrier here.

 When I look at all 21 devices in their "VCOs/VCO Buffers"
parts category, the only ones _without_ noise specs are the
very parts about which I am asking, the MAX274x family.

>The criticism is aimed at the concept not the person.

So far, you've penned the following:

 "unsuitable for use at least in a well designed system"
"Its not that much more expensive to do it properly"
"No one in their right mind would attempt"

 I'm not sure which particular brand of rose colored reading
glasses you are using nowadays, but that is hardly appropriate
wording for something you would have us treat as an impartial
technical critique.

>The question is largely irrelevant.

My questions are quite relevant.

 What is "largely irrelevant" are your "answers", which
so far have consisted of caustic postings containing
nothing but the repetition of basic design information.

Please refrain from "answering" any further questions on my part.

Brian

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215195222x1200993641/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=82%26bcd=De
cemailfooterNO82)