[time-nuts] Build my own dist. amp ??

BriMDavis at aol.com BriMDavis at aol.com
Fri Dec 19 03:42:24 UTC 2008

Didier wrote:

>Your original post asked for a reference distribution amplifier.

I did not ask _for_ a reference distribution amplifier.

I asked whether anyone had used the MAX2470/2471 in such a
design, specifically in regards to its residual phase noise.

> "Just wondering if anyone has ever tried the MAX2470/2471 VCO buffers as
> part of a reference distribution design?"
>
> Why would it need to cover more than one frequency?

 My references are often higher frequency OCXOs ( e.g. 80, 100 MHz )
or multiples thereof ( e.g. 160, 200, 320, 400 MHz ).

 Distributed within a rack or box, rather than around a building.

 Instead of designing and building many different discrete
narrowband amplifiers with optimum performance for a single
frequency, it is sufficient to design fewer amplifiers,
having adequate performance in all bands.

Brian

p.s.

 Another reason I am interested in this particular part is
that the end of many such reference chains terminates in a
high speed data converter, needing differential clock drive
in the 0-3 dBm range.

 Other options for this final device in the reference chain
include ECL line drivers or baluns; neither has much in the
way of reverse isolation, and the ECL parts I've used in
years past have a noise floor only in the -140's or so.

 There are also some newer LVDS/CML buffer parts that might
be useful for this end of things, but many of these also lack
any detailed phase noise data or reverse isolation specs.

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215195222x1200993641/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=82%26bcd=De
cemailfooterNO82)