[time-nuts] Thunderbolt Accuracy needs...

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Dec 21 17:21:07 UTC 2008

Thomas A. Frank skrev:
> On Dec 20, 2008, at 6:03 PM, Burt I. Weiner wrote:
>
>> I suppose a good comparison would be: How accurate does the
>> speedometer in the car really need to be and why.
>
> Accurate enough so that if its reading matches the posted sign, you
> don't receive a ticket?

An engineer pointed out that due to the spreading of readings on various
speedometers un-necessary take-overs where performed by those having a
higher speed for the same reading than those having a lower speed for
the same reading. Thus, the precaution is to some degree compromised by
the lack of consistency in the degraded reading. This is further
compromised by people knowing their speedometers is degraded, so they
form their own rules of how to interprent them in a favorable fashion.
The tires and air pressure in them comes in as things compromising the
scale. My speedometer gives different readings on my summer-tires than
my winter tires.

I think I actually prefer more exact speedometer in all cars. Then there
is less room for subjective judgements and less of a discussion altogether.

I think we already did some work in a similar fields like weigth,
lengths and time...

I learned alot of what my speedometer told me when looking at my TomTom
reading.

Cheers,
Magnus