[time-nuts] Sub Pico Second Phase logger

Joe Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Sun Dec 21 18:46:05 UTC 2008

Bruce,

At 9:50 PM +0000 12/19/08, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:

>Message: 7
>Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:38:26 +1300
>From: Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz>
>Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Sub Pico Second Phase logger
>To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
>	<time-nuts at febo.com>
>
>Joe
>
>Joe Gwinn wrote:
>>  Bruce,
>>
>>  At 3:54 AM +0000 12/19/08, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:
>>
>>>  Message: 5
>>>  Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:51:55 +1300
>>>  From: Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz>
>>>  Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Sub Pico Second Phase logger
>>>  To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
>>>	<time-nuts at febo.com>
>>>
>>>  Joe

>  >>>
>[snip]
>

>>>  Some claim to be able to sync to an SPDIF input but the resultant jitter
>>>  may be large.
>>>

>>  Why large jitter?  Bad implementation?
>>

>I'm just suspicious, although I did see some data somewhere that seemed
>to confirm my suspicions.
>The S/PDIF signal has to be a valid SPDIF signal not just a square or
>sine wave clock.
>Output sample rates (for the AP192) are then identical to that of the
>the S/PDIF source which is limited to
>192, 176.4, 96,88.2 48, 44.1 32 KSPS.

I did a little looking.  I bet that the sync quite well, but this
signal is pretty complex.  One assumes that there is a box that takes
in a 10 MHz ref and does the rest, because the broadcast industry
does use atomic clocks.

>  >
>  >>  >>  >> A few divide and mix stages will be required to achieve
>a spur free resolution of 10Hz.
>  >>>>>>
>  >>>>>   have now become practical?
>  >>>>>
>  >>>>  Diophantine frequency synthesis?
>  >>>>

>  >>>  But I was fishing.
>  >>>
>>>  Conventional Diophantine synthesis uses number theory together with 2 or
>>>  3 conventional synthesiser loops to achieve very fine resolution whilst
>  >> maintaining a high PLL phase detector input frequency.
>  >
>>  In a sense, the concatenated DDS approach is a divide-and-mix chain.
>  > Perhaps there is a parallel here.
>  >
>The DDS based equivalent (of the dual PLL Diophantine synthesiser) would
>use a pair of DDS chips each replacing a conventional PLL in the
>Diophantine frequency synthesiser, the output frequency of each having
>zero phase truncation spurs.
>
>Both DDS clock sources should be spur free and have a frequency ratio
>that is a selected fixed rational fraction.

A M/N PLL chip can arrange this.  I recall that Silicon Labs makes
such a chip, which requires a parameter load on power-up, so a
computer or FPGA is needed.

>A conventional mixer would then be used to either add or subtract the
>two DDS output frequencies.
>If the ratio of the 2 DDS clock source frequencies is appropriately
>chosen the spacing between the resultant mixer output frequencies can be
>much finer than the spacing between the truncation spur free outputs of
>either DDS chip.
>The DDS and mixer outputs should be filtered to remove harmonics and
>other unwanted frequencies.

If the DDS chips are well chosen, we will get sin and cos outputs,
and so can implement a dual-mixer phasing scheme to yield only the
sum frequency or only the difference frequency, greatly reducing the
amount of filtering needed.  The better balanced the channels are the
better the cancellation of the unwanted term.  This is basically the
phasing method of single-sideband signal generation.

>One drawback is that selecting the output frequencies of the 2 DDS chips
>required to produce the desired output frequency is somewhat complex.
>Since one almost certainly needs a computer of some sort to set the DDS
>frequencies this shouldn't be a significant issue.

Yes.  Basically, every digital chip in this scheme requires a
computer of some kind.  What I've seen used is a small CPLD to do the
initial parameter loads, and then to run the show.

Joe