[time-nuts] Speedometers -- bah, humbug

Dave Ackrill dave.g0dja at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Dec 21 22:17:44 UTC 2008

Richard Moore wrote:
>  The answer? The Feds then
> required the speedometer to read not less than 2% nor more than 8%
> high -- oddly enough, 5% is the mean of this variance. I don't know
> what's required now. My '02 Toyota Highlander reads a tad less than
> 1% high, based on readings from my Garmin eTrex.

That's true this side of the herring pond as well...

So, if you are caught on camera, you cannot say your speedo was telling
you that you were under the speed limit.

However, over here, you can still challenge the plods (UK term for
Police Officers) to show that their measuring instruments were correctly
callibrated on the day that they tracked you...

If they did not keep to the law on this, then you were not lawfully
shown to be over the limit.

Dave (G0DJA)