[time-nuts] He is a Time-Nut Troublemaker....

Michael Baker mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Mon Dec 22 02:28:49 UTC 2008

Hello, TimeNutters--

Mike Monett said:

  It is refreshing to see such sweet innocence. For most of  us, those
  days are gone forever.

  Your problem is you only have one clock. As soon as you get two, you
  ask a very simple question: which one is right?

  But that only makes things worse.

  That question  leads you over the edge and down  the  slippery slope
  that brings  most  of us to this forum. The same  thing  happened to
  Tom, and look at how many clocks he has now.

  Right now,  you don't have enough clocks. The only real  solution to
  your problem, is to get another TBolt:)
--------------------------

Just ducked out of my cave to let you know that
you are a troublemaker.  Get another T-bolt... Right.
--Just what I need... another techno-addiction.  As far as
"sweet innocence" is concerned, I lost all I ever had
when I jumped head-first into bench-rest rifle competition
15 years ago.  You have your addiction-- I already have mine
in the never ending search to find the magic combination
of details that produce the holy-grail of a 10-shot half-inch
group at 400 yards...

For what it is worth, I am up to my kiester in the pursuit
of long-range bench-rest rifle accuracy.  I spend most of
my free time trying to come up with subtle ways to better
last week's tight shot-group I got with my bench-rest rifle
with the diamond-lapped, air-gaged Krieger barrel. I weigh
and sort each boat-tailed projectile to the nearest 0.1 grain,
I check every handloaded cartridge case for neck concentricity
and runout error.  I weigh and match all my cartridge cases, I
weigh each boat-tailed Berger benchrest grade bullet.  I weigh
each powder charge to the nearest 0.1 grain. Every primer
pocket is cleaned and inspected and every primer flash
hole is swaged for uniformity.  I set my wind flags out and
carefully analyze the vagaries of every little zephyr that
wafts over the 400 yard space between me and my target.

After all of this, I am only half way down the list of details
I pay careful attention to, but you get the idea....  Hey--
do I look like the kind of guy that would get sucked down the
slippery slope of paying attention to any kind of activity that
would require attention to microscopic subtle technical details
of some arcane art in order to advance my capabilities by one-half of
one percent (such as paying attention to ADEV, MDEV or close-in
phase noise??)

Not me...

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to prepare for next weeks
shoot by spinning each of these projectiles on my ultrasonic
testing instrument and testing for uniform concentric jacket
thickness...

Cheers!!

Mike Baker
WA4HFR