[time-nuts] parallel port PPS with FreeBSD

Remco dB besten at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 08:02:38 UTC 2008

Perhaps this question may be totally off topic or considered to be part of
the 'newbie category' but I tried to activate PPS on the parallel port (lpt0)
with FreeBSD.

By the way, the system runs fine with serial PPS but I want to compare the
results of 'serial PPS' and 'parallel PPS' with my system.

I made a symlink /dev/pps1, pointing towards /dev/lpt0.

Using 127.127.22.1 in ntp.conf I get:

22 Dec 07:36:21 ntpd[633]: refclock_atom: /dev/pps1: Device busy

I googled a little and changed the specs for the parallel port in my BIOS
from 'ECP' to 'bi-directional', but the error remains.

Any ideas what might be the issue here?

Regards,

Remco