[time-nuts] How good is my T-bolt...??

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Dec 22 10:57:03 UTC 2008

Mike Naruta AA8K skrev:
> What if all three are different from each other?
>
> Or, if two agree, how do you know that the
> two are not both wrong?
>
> If you have 30 clocks and 20 say one time while
> 10 say another time, do you go with the majority?
>
> Is there not a small probability that the 10 are correct?
>

> :)

Actually, you can't say that. If you have 20 clocks saying 12:05 and 10
clocks saying 12:10 and you see the sun setting (assuming we are
sufficiently distant from polar circles, which most people are most of
the time), then clearly all 30 clocks are wrong. Statistics only
indicate the mean value for your set of clocks, not which one of them is
right. Your lack of external reference prohibits you from making such
conclusions.

Cheers,
Magnus