[time-nuts] New topics (was Re: He is a Time-Nut Troublemaker....)

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Dec 23 17:49:59 UTC 2008

This is similar to the problems of synchronizing multiple AC generators connected to a common bus. In that application, you typically adjust the throttle on the prime mover (or penstock gate for hydro) for each generator, while keeping a stable system frequency.  This is a very difficult problem because of the nonlinearity and time delays inherent in the system, not to mention the fact that there's transmission lines involved and a varying load.  The transients on long transmission paths (like from pacific northwest to southern California) can take many hours to die out.

There have been notorious oscillation issues in days of yore.. Modern GPS disciplined frequency references makes it easier.. (rather than sync to each other, you all sync to a common master) As do DC links with inverters.

In your case, you're trying to do the mutual synchronization scheme.

Jim