[time-nuts] He is a Time-Nut Troublemaker....

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Wed Dec 24 00:43:25 UTC 2008

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:27:28 +0100, Magnus Danielson
<magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:

>David M. Witten II skrev:
>> Points of pride, I'm sure.
>
>All this talk still does not make me feel like going out and get a
>firearm of any sort, fashinating as they can be in their own right.
>
>If someone got me involved in elk-hunting maybe, but that's about it I
>think.

I got the hunting thing out of my blood when I was still a teenager.  I'm now
a precision shooter and a shooting nerd.  Shooting can be very exciting to the
type that populate this list.  Internal ballistics, external ballistics,
statistics, precision mechanics, precision electronics, etc.

Ballistics timing is fast enough that you get to play with the things that
concern time-nuts.  I have, for example, drilled an old barrel and inserted
conductive probes every inch.  The bullet passing by makes up the circuit. The
probes were arranged in an R/2R D/A converter circuit so that I could digitize
them all with one fast A/D converter.  I wanted to watch the acceleration of
the bullet down the barrel and compare it to chamber pressure.

I learned that what I suspected was true, that with some powder loads, the
acceleration process is over before the bullet exits the muzzle and that
during the last few inches, the bullet was actually slowing from friction.

It also explained why I could get almost as much velocity out of my .308 bolt
action silhouette pistol with the 14" barrel as I could from my M-14,
optimized power and powder weight for the pistol, of course.

Finally, of course, there is the pride of accomplishment of achieving results
that few others in the world can do.  Similar to achieving the best amateurs
have done with time measurements.

There are lots and lots of things a nerd can do with a firearm other than just
shoot at things.

John
--
John De Armond