[time-nuts] New topics (was Re: He isa Time-Nut Troublemaker....)

Didier didier at cox.net
Wed Dec 24 00:47:19 UTC 2008

John,

When you add two (statistically independent) 5 MHz signals and get a 10MHz
signal, the 10 MHz signal's *relative* noise and drift will be the average
of the *relative* noise and drift of the two 5 MHz signals. So as when you
average n signals, the noise and drift are reduced by sq.rt of n, in this
case, 1.4, or about 2dB (if I am correct), a modest improvement.

Combining more than 2 signals that way (to get more than 2dB improvement)
gets complicated in a hurry.

I guess the idea behind differential locking was to simplify the circuit so
that a large n could be used to get meaningful improvement without too much
additional circuitry.

Didier KO4BB