[time-nuts] New topics (was Re: He is a Time-Nut Troublemaker....)

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Dec 24 01:13:12 UTC 2008

Magnus Danielson wrote:
> Hej Bruce,
>

>> Rephrasing:
>> A lower noise system with less phase instability due to the variable RF
>> gain mixer is possible when the phase shift contribution from the
>> circuit branch including said mixer is small.
>>

> Should I interprent this as when the phase shifts near 0, 90, 180 and
> 270 degrees has less noise than other phase shifts? Would make sense,
> but question is how much worse it gets.
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus

Hej Magnus

Thats true, but I had the more general case in mind wherein which one
adds coarse fixed delay increments as required and merely uses the
variable gain mixer to make a fine adjustment to the phase.
No real need for sine and cosine weighting for small phase adjustments
as the effect on the amplitude will be small and phase noise measurement
systems are usually relatively insensitive to AM.

Bruce