[time-nuts] Leap-second happens when...??

Bob Johnson timenuts at bobj.org
Sat Dec 27 20:13:14 UTC 2008

Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote
> Michael Baker skrev:
>> Hello, Time-Nutters--
>>
>> I must have missed something...  I have known about
>> the coming leap-second for months, but have not heard
>> when it was going to be inserted.
>> When will the leap-second take place?
>
> A leap-second can be inserted or removed at the end of the last minute
> of a month in UTC.

[...]

> You naturally need to convert to your local time zone to get a little
> more aid on when it happens, but for Florida it will occur at 18:00
> (UTC-6h) on Wednesday where as for me it will occur at 1:00 (UTC+1h) on
> Thursday.

I think that's UTC-6h in northwest Florida (Central time zone), but
UTC-5h in peninsular Florida where Mike is (Eastern time zone). Or else
I'm confused. I grew up in one and live in the other, and between that
and keeping track of summer and winter times, I don't always get it right...

But anyway, Mike, be at your clock, or GPS, or whatever, at 23:59:59Z on
Dec 31. Don't forget your eggnog.

- Bob