[time-nuts] How are you going to spend your extra second?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Dec 29 08:19:33 UTC 2008

Poul-Henning Kamp skrev:
> In message <4958746C.9040701 at erols.com>, Chuck Harris writes:
>> Jim Palfreyman wrote:
>>> I suppose it's "nuts" is it to want to live in a society where there a very
>>> few guns available, where ordinary people don't carry them and people can't
>>> be shot and killed in a quick fit of anger over something trivial.
>> It's nuts to believe that criminals are going to stop using guns
>> just because you have banned them from the law abiding people.
>
> Can we can the gun-talk on the *time-nuts* list please ?

I was just contacted by an artist that wants to capture the leap-second
for a project she does. I think it very well matches the topic of this
thread.

It brings on the discussion on how to best observe the leap-second.

For her part, getting the 23:59:60 reading would be the ideal. I came to
realize that few computer clocks would report that even with propper NTP.

So, ideas, knowledge, update since the last leap-second?

I would sure like to see it in various forms. I would like to have a
computer (UNIX/LINUX) clock that provides propper UTC...

I would not mind seeing it popping out of my GPS clocks either.

I don't think I will have DCF77, MSF or LORAN-C capability on new years
eve, otherwise those should be possible to receive here too.

Cheers,
Magnus