[time-nuts] New topics (was Re: He isaTime-Nut Troublemaker....)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Dec 29 22:14:23 UTC 2008

Chuck Harris skrev:
> That's what I would expect.  There would, of course be a fair bit
> of low frequency beating and the like, but if kept to a long window, it
> should average out to a bell curve that is exactly centered on the average
> frequency of the references.

Which I would guess would be adrift, so it would be kind of hard.

Actually, I wonder if it for two unsynchronized clocks would look like
an amplitude or phase modulated signal with a sine modulation. This
would cause a very typical sine-modulation curve on the histogram, and
with gaussian bell shaped outer edges. You would need to lock them up
for this hollow shape to fall out and it all become just a bell-shape.

> Now, I guess the companion question is: Of what use would it be?

If they are free-running, I think the functionality is fairly unuseful.
If you lock them up, well, that's another issue.

Cheers,
Magnus