[time-nuts] Count up/down DAC circuit

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Tue Dec 30 17:46:51 UTC 2008

Hi Steve,

I played with such a circuit a long time ago.

The slope is limited to the clocking of your circuit (one LSB digit per
clock typ), which can present an issue if you cannot follow the OCXO's EFC
changes fast enough. You could be chasing the OCXO voltage and this may lead to
instability.

Even if it is "locked", the circuit will constantly be "chasing" the OCXO,
unless you implement a dead-zone where the circuit stops counting up/down when
you are close enough to your target frequency.

This chasing may cause the frequency to modulate up and down, and could  lead
to large-scale oscillations.

Tough to get this to work properly, but with circuitry to add a deadzone,
and to dampen the lock, and maybe to introduce gain (jump more than one LSB when
 far off etc) it may work. Then again implementing a standard PI controller
(in a  micro etc), and calculating it's stability etc is much easier than
getting this  to work properly.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 12/29/2008 21:30:54 Pacific Standard Time,