[time-nuts] Thunderbolt hiccup

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 31 01:03:24 UTC 2008

I have been using Thunderbolts for a couple of years now without a hitch.  Today something strange happened.  I checked my system at home this afternoon in preparation for The Leapsecond and noticed that the unit had been in holdover for the last 20,000 seconds.  All alarms were normal but the unit was showing no sats available and OCXO holdover mode.  The Thunderbolt processor was working normally.

I moved the antenna to another unit and got signal just fine.  Restored the antenna to the original unit and got no sats.  Power cycled the unit and it recovered and started working just fine.  Not sure what caused the hiccup,  probably not a power glitch/spike.  The unit is on a heavily monitored/filtered/redundant/backed up power supply that will flag and record any power disturbances as short as a few nanoseconds.