[time-nuts] Hello from a new member

Dennis Tillman dennis at ridesoft.com
Sun Feb 3 03:57:19 UTC 2008

Hi everybody, I'm Dennis Tillman

I've had a fascination with time for 40+ years but until recently I couldn't
afford to do much about that. The highlights:

* Back in 1970 I designed and built my own digital clock out of TTL gates
and incandescent(!) seven segment readouts . It ran off a 100KHz Xtal. It
still works!

* Two years ago I bult my own GPS frequency standard based on the design by
James Miller but it has been a big disappointment. I started to suspect it
was not reliable so I wrote a LabView program to compare it to the reference
outputs of two ArgoSystems AS210 systems I found on eBay and restored. The
LabView program confirmed my suspicions that the GPS receiver was briefly
loosing its stability for brief periods several times a week. The AS210s
tracked each other reliably and extremely closely. I have not gotten to the
bottom of the problem with the GPS receiver yet.

* About a year ago I got my Spectracomm 8163/8150/8212 WWVB receiver system
working.

In addition to Precision Time and Frequency measurements my other passion is
Tektronix 7000 oscilloscopes.

I live in Bellevue, WA nearby to John Miles and Tom Van Baak who have, for
better or worse, rekindled my interest in Time.

Dennis