[time-nuts] GPS PRN vs SV...??

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Sat Feb 9 10:16:28 UTC 2008

Tom Van Baak wrote:
>> Current status SVNs, PRN etc at:
>>
>> http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/navinfo/Gps/ActiveNanu.aspx
>>
>> Bruce
>>

> That's a good URL. Thanks.
>
> More on the SVN vs. PRN issue...
>
> When I mistrust a GPS receiver and want to check where a
> satellite really is, I use the NASA satellite tracker:
>
> http://science.nasa.gov/Realtime/jtrack/3d/JTrack3D.html
>
> If any of you haven't heard of, or used this java applet yet,
> I highly recommend it. After you click on +J-TRACK 3D,
> click on Satellite->Select and pick any GPS satellite.
>
> The only trouble: our SV of interest, GPS BIIA-10 (PRN 32),
> is missing from the list (perhaps because it is still marked
> unhealthy?), so we can't get its orbit or ground track. I sent
> a note to NASA and we'll see if they fix it.
>
> If any of you know of another satellite tracking web site that
> shows SVN23/PRN32, let us know, ok?
>
> By the way, if one takes a screen capture of each GPS SV
> in the Jtrack3D list, you get this cute GPS orbit animation:
>
> http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/gps-orbit/
>
> /tvb

Thanks Tom, I'm trying to follow this discussion with my limited
knowledge and see if my HP z3816a with a UT receiver knows about this
new satellite. My random looks have seen a 31 PRN but not a 32. So
knowing when the new 32 should be visible in N. Cal would help a lot. I
tried your link to the nasa.gov jtrack page, but I don't see how I get
to anyplace where I can select a GPS satellite to track. Sorry if I
missed something obvious.

Any hints or clarifications on how to predict when any gps satellite
should be in view here are appreciated. I think I could get Ham
satellite tracking software and find the ephemeris information for the
satellites somewhere, but I was hoping for an easy way for just the GPS
sats.

Thanks for the heads-up on the new satellite with this binary new-bit
PRN. (That is the potential issue with why some receivers may not handle
it -- correct?)