[time-nuts] GPS PRN vs SV...??

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Feb 9 21:31:17 UTC 2008

From: "michael taylor" <mctylr at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] GPS PRN vs SV...??
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 16:13:08 -0500

> On Feb 9, 2008 7:13 AM,  <n1jez at burlingtontelecom.net> wrote:
> > ...I also use Heavens Above. You do need to register, but it's
> > free.
> >
> > For PRN32, once you log in, use spacecraft # 22657  (Navstar 32)
>
> I believe PRN 32 is actually Navstar BIIA-10 (aka 2A-10), COSPAR:
> 1990-103A, or US Control #20959.
> and is identified as "Navstar 22" in Heavens Above.

Indeed. Checking ftp://tycho.usno.navy.mil/pub/gps/gpsb2.txt gives

      LAUNCH                 LAUNCH       FREQ            US SPACE
      ORDER    PRN  SVN       DATE        STD     PLANE   COMMAND **
       IIA-10   32   23     26 NOV 1990    Rb       E5     20959

> Based on the first 2 lines of <http://celestrak.com/NORAD/elements/gps-ops.txt>
>
> GPS BIIA-10 (PRN 32)
> 1 20959U 90103A   ...

It checks out. Thus, you should be looking at:

http://www.heavens-above.com/orbitdisplay.asp?Session=kebgcpaanhagkcceebmhgcnb&satid=20959

Tom, you don't have to duck on this pass. :)

Cheers,
Magnus